Way back, in approximately 1930, a very tall pine tree stood on a rough and rocky ledge just below the escarpment edge near Ridge Road. Each year this tree was decorated with a balance of red and green lights at Christmas time, then lit, to send forth the message of Christmas greeting to the surrounding neighborhoods. But sadly after many years, the tree began to show the effects of time and it began to sag as it was pulling away from the rocky ridge, so it was deemed unsafe to decorate it.
People had become rather attached to the idea of spreading Christmas spirit through the lighting of the tree. And something occurred to a trio of enthusiastic supporters from Ontario Hydro. Why not put up an experimental set of lights to see how it would be received?
With this in mind William Sinclair, Murray Hyslop and Bert Tyman went to work finding the best location to erect a wooden cross to share the message of “Good Will” with everyone in the surrounding area. The cross was positioned just west of the tree, and very near the edge of the escarpment. The cross would be lit during the Christmas and Easter holidays. For 5 years the wooden cross reigned on top of the hill. By 1966 time again began to take its toll. The wooden cross was falling apart.
This cross was made in December 18, 1966 in memory of George Sinclair (George Sinclair Homes) by his son William Sinclair (1925-1994). He built the cross to bring light to the community. Originally the cross was only planned on being lit up during Christmas and Easter for six weeks. However, with the help of the donations from the Knights of Columbus the cross lights up automatically every night.
An idea from the original trio of Ontario Hydro linesmen was spread through the general community looking for a permanent solution to this problem. They wanted to erect a steel cross that could stand the test of time and bring forth a reminder of the good will of God. With the support for the project spreading, things moved forward and a site just east of the punchbowl was selected as the permanent location for the cross.
A steel hydro tower measuring more than 50 feet tall that was no longer being used was brought over from Birch Ave in Hamilton, Ontario to form the base of the cross. With this acquisition, the cross project got underway. Many local companies and the surrounding communities threw in their money, supplies, and labor to further the cause, and help bring their dream to reality.
On Dec 18, 1966 the cross was dedicated and as night fell, the photo electric cells blazed to life and the cross shone out across the valley far and wide. In April of 1990 the Knights of Columbus donated the sum of $1,300 to cover the cost of lighting the cross each night. The cross now comes to life every night of the year to remind people of the “eternal values” and share the “good will of God” with one and all.[/av_textblock] [/av_one_half][av_one_half] [av_textblock ]
Images[/av_textblock] [/av_one_half] [av_one_full first] [av_textblock] Click here to add your own text